Sunday, May 31, 2015

What's that thing in the coop

After work last night Brian and I had a great dinner at Catelli's with some friends. After a night of delicious pasta and wine after a long work day you can bet I was ready to put the "kids" to bed and call it a night. Dahlia, Daisy, Marigold, and Ginger came up and did their usual night time routine with me. I secured the gate to the neighbors yard where they have been grazing and gave them all a few pats. Boy, are goats like dogs….with weird pupils. Step two, time to get the ducks in. For those of you who don't know our ducks are the late night party animals. They stay up way past everyone else standing by the water cooler talking away gossiping about this and that. I came in, did my usual clap and "come on ducks" call to get them inside the coop. The ducks ran in……the ducks ran out…….okay "come on ducks!!! Time for bed!" the ducks run in……. the ducks run out. We did this dance about three times and then I went in the coop. What is up ducks!?!? I am thinking. Low and behold in the corner is this black and white thing…..hmmmm. I do have Silver Laced Wyandottes so I thought maybe it was stray chicken not roosting……hmmm, that chicken looks awfully fuzzy. I go out and come inside to grab a flashlight, aka a cell phone in this day and age, while Brian is snuggling the foster kitties. He asks what is going on, I tell him, I think theres a skunk in the coop! He tells me to yell if it is once I shine a light on it. Sure enough, I shine that flashlight on that stinker, literally, nose right on an egg, and yell out "it's a skunk!" Brian runs out broom in hand. I got the last predator out, a bobcat, so I guess it's his turn. Backwards baseball cap, dress shirt still on from work and a broom Brian chases the thing out, but not before it makes a stinky mess in my coop. Ah the adventures of life in the country. I begin this morning walking the fence line figuring out how the little bugger got in. Meanwhile, time to air out the coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment